Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I AM A CHICKEN




A couple of weeks ago during the UNFCCC COP-16, along with the British Council Officials, Crew members, and Climate Champions we went on a boat trip to Puerto Juárez, a town in Benito Juárez municipality, in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. It’s located in the north-east of the Yucatán Peninsula, on the shore of the Caribbean Sea; It is 2 km from Cancún around about less than an hour drive by car.

I'm actually not that "let's snorkel!!" kinda person. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to sea water since I always get this feeling of "sharks will stalk me" or those unfriendly transparent Cnidarians which could sting me anytime the current drifts them I'm usually totally soo.. precautious. But umm.. I don't know, that moment I just got this inner dialogue thingy kinda going..:

N: Should I snorkel? Should I not? Should I snorkel? Should I not? Should I snorkel? Should I not?.............. (And it continues for like about 5 minutes)

(while the others have already geared up with the life jackets, Snorkel, Flipper, Scuba Mask, Swimming Goggles, Vector and jumped in the blue one by one I was still having the self-dialogue going on)


AE: Go ahead you chicken! Look at you sitting here like a coward, those jellyfish ain’t gonna eat you (well probably the sharks will!!) but what are you sitting there for??

N: GOD!! I wanna go!!, but what if the sharks eat me?! What if suddenly there’s a huge tidal wave!! Or a monster, or a snake or whatever..??!!

AE: You dork!! Who cares if there’s even a Montauk Monster swimming about (hey! you could probably appear on the headline news tomorrow!!) you haven’t even tried a single time!! This is your last chance buddy!! It's the Caribbean for goodness sake!! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SWIM!!

N: Ok! I made up my mind I’m going! Happy now!!


AE=Alter Ego of Nadya

N=Nadya


With half a doubt in my face I suddenly asked the boat crew if I could catch the others who had already swam further 50m from the boat. So I ended up having the fun to see how wonderful the Caribbean corrals were and the cute colorful little fisihies swimming inside the water. It was so magnificent, I could see the red, blue, yellow fishes, and also the clown fish peeking through the white corrals and green algae covering up a certain area of sea bed (and of course, no sharks, nor Jellyfish). It was just awesome!! I'd love to try it again!!

So if somebody would ask me "When was your first time snorkeling? “ I would definitely say Mexico! ;D



6 comments:

  1. Well you should try scuba diving sometimes..The feeling is just beyond words..It's just so great, nothing can even come closer with that..Mmmmm except maybe for sky diving, since I haven't tried it..Hehehehe..

    Eniwey gw yodi dri Tilburg yang waktu dtg dateng ke arisan PPI deventer..Semoga inget...amin..hahaha...cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeaa.. sure!! saya ingat..di kelompoknya Adit kan ya klo ngga salah.. hhe

    You often go diving? cool!!..
    Id love to try Scuba diving!!.. maybe sometimes, but i dont think here would have a good place,I dont wanna freeze to death either, hhaha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. just once..but it's quite addictive..hahahaha...

    nyaaahhh...not here in europe, the best diving spots are still there back in Indonesia I think..

    I think you should watch some youtube videos,try Raja Ampat...Wedaaaaaann tenan..hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeaa.. I could imagine, theres always things youre affraid to try but eventually ended up in wanting for more,, hhaha

    Hha.. yea! Id lve that..
    Raja Ampat? i think ive heard it somewhere before.. its funny how I used to have a feeling of "its close so i can visit it anytime" kinda thing back home..haha. But oh well, for now i might as well enjoy the snow here while I can.. hows snow in Tilburg btw? hhe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lagi melarikan diri ke london nih gw..hahaha..tapiiiii sama ajeeeeeeeeeee dinginnyeee....preeeetttt..hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hhaha, anyways.. Happy New Year Holiday!! have a great one!! :D

    ReplyDelete